Monday, January 1, 2024

What I read in 2023


On New Years, 2019 a friend of mine posted a list of the books they had read in 2018. I thought it was a great idea so I've been posting such a list myself ever since, first on Facebook, now on my blog. I find it a very useful exercise in self-reflection - though I am sure it is really just another example of my narcissism. 😏

If anyone else makes such lists, I'd love to see them. Feel free to share the lists, or links to your lists, in the comments.😀 You can find my previous years here: 201920202021 and 2022.

Looking over this year's list (see below), I had fewer rereads then normal. Lots of fantasy as usual, but not many Tolkien reads. Overall, I read as many works as I usually do. But I didn't have as many focused topic reads this year. I continued reading the Frigate Navy period, of course, and my normal interests - the Corps, Thieves' World, the Lovecraft circle, ect. - all show up but over all it was a fairly mixed year. As usual, the fantasy genre dominated my non-professional reading. As usual, I only listed books I read all the way through, so the massive amount of reading I did for work isn't included. Only the few books I read over to cover. 

# of Rereads: 25 (I've marked rereads below with an *) 
# Military History reads: 8
# of fantasy works: 40
# by or about Tolkien or Inklings: 4
# related to Lovecraft or the Mythos: 5
# of Marine reads: 5 
# Frigate Navy period reads: 9
# Thieves' World & related: 12
# Matter of Britain/France works: 3
# of holiday reads: 8
# historical fiction reads: 7
# World War II reads: 5
# Late Roman/Byzantine reads: 2


All views in this blog are my own and represent the views of no other person, organization, or institution.

No comments:

Post a Comment