Monday, February 11, 2019

Tougher then it looks!


Well, this has been a bust so far! The point of the exercise is to clear my writer's block, but so far it just seems to add another writing obligation on my plate that sits there, taunting me with blank space. "Where are your insightful views, Westermeyer? I thought you would post once a week?"

The problem is, I keep imagining this as a public post visible to thousands... and of course, it's only been viewed 52 times.  I need to get back to thinking small, and post just something, even if it is just a few paragraphs like this.

My biggest problem as a both a historian and as a writer is I accumulate unfinished projects. It's a fatal flaw, I have many good ideas, but life keeps getting in the way before I can finish them. It's rather maddening.  I have one RPG writing projecting, The Stellar Main: A Sphere Guide to Bralspace, that I started over 20 years ago. Currently, it is 125,000 words and 322 pages (I've cut 100 pages from it so far) but I can't just get it done and 'publish' it.

Sure, it's a private vanity project that I won't publish for money, something I doodle with to entertain myself.  It always has taken a last row seat to my other writing projects, those for my profession and those that pay money.  But you'd think after 20 years of doddling I could have polished the thing up, cut the cord, and let it out... but no.  I haven't worked on it in months and I have no plans to start soon; again, paid projects and books for my profession have the highest claim on my energy and time - they pay the bills.

But I do need to beat this issue.  I'm fifty now, I'd prefer not to die with all my good book ideas, whether for history or for gaming, still in my head.  If you don't stick your ideas in the marketplace, they have no value. (and I am not talking about monetary value).




All views in this blog are my own and represent the views of no other person, organization, or institution.

1 comment: